How Ongoing Mold Problems Affect Your Health

Prolonged exposure to mold inside the home, which tends to accumulate in damp and poorly ventilated buildings, can have a profound effect on your health. It can severely damage the respiratory system, and can sometimes cause chronic health problems such as asthma, obstructive lung disease and hypersensitivity pneumonitis. The World Health Organization (WHO) attributes the cause of around 300 million cases of childhood asthma of the world to indoor dampness and mold. It is therefore crucial to effectively curb mold growth in the house.

Mold is known to affect not only the respiratory system, but the vascular, reproductive, digestive, neurological, urinary, immune systems, and the skin as well. The following are the most common ways in which mold impacts different systems of the body:

  • Respiratory: nasal congestion, throat irritation, coughing or wheezing, chest tightness, along with the long-term illnesses stated before.

  • Vascular: blood vessel fragility, haemorrhage from tissues or lungs.

  • Reproductive:infertility, changes in reproductive cycles.

  • Digestive:diarrhoea, vomiting, haemorrhage, liver damage, fibrosis, and necrosis.

  • Neurological:tremors, loss of coordination, headaches, depression, multiple sclerosis.

  • Urinary: kidney toxicity.

  • Immune: Immunosuppression.

  • Skin: rashes, burning, sloughing, photosensitivity.

However, diagnosing a mold allergy or infection is extremely difficult due to the varied nature of immediate reactions in different individuals. While some individuals experience respiratory problems only, others might suffer from sinus problems, itchy rashes, joint pain or headaches. Long and consistent exposure to mold can potentially harm the mental well-being of those affected. From memory loss to extreme emotional outbursts and sudden changes in disposition such as agitation, panic or depression, the effects are diverse.

Mold remediation and prevention in the house is therefore of utmost importance, in the light of the diverse health problems it can lead to. Mold spores cannot be destroyed easily, and the best way to remove the mold is through professional remediation. While people generally use commercial products, soap and water or bleach solutions for the removal process, it is advisable to resort to professional solutions, especially if it is a case of black mold, as the stirring up of the pores itself can be hazardous. You can also install air purifiers right after the removal process for getting rid of the mold toxins which are released due to the disintegration of the mold spores. Several preventive measures which must be undertaken are to control humidity levels of the house; properly ventilate the shower, cooking, and laundry areas; promptly fix leakages; and thoroughly clean and dry your home after floods.

For help with mold removal, contact a business like Safe-Way Waterproofing & Mold Remediation.

Share